It is the summer season and we’re all looking to get that perfect, sun-kissed tan. However, it can be really hard to do so when you’re covered in tattoos. For any tattoo to be exposed to the sun, it needs to be constantly covered in high-SPF sunscreen, which won’t work in the favor of your tan.
So, you have to choose between tanning and protecting your tattoos, and of course you’re going to protect your ink and skin. Right?
Well, what if we told you that there’s a perfect solution for this problem? Tanning lotions are the latest dicovery in the tattoo community, and the perfect solution for getting a tan while keeping the tattoos safe and sound.
So, in the following paragraphs, we’ll take a look at the best tanning lotions for tattoos for the summer season of 2022. Choose your favorite lotion and get ready to show off your beach body without a worry in the world.
5 Best Tattoo Tanning Lotions: Detailed Reviews
1. Ed Hardy Ink Tattoo & Color Fade Moisturizer – Tan Extender
For years, Ed Hardy has remained a popular and influential name in the tattoo community. The reason for that lies in high-quality products, one of which is this Tan Tattoo Extender. The lotion is loaded with high-quality, skin-nourishing ingredients that work wonders for the tattooed skin. There is also a tattoo color protector in this lotion to keep your tattoo completely safe during prolonged exposure to UV rays.
Some of the ingredients found in this lotions include;
- Shea butter – to keep the skin smooth and soft, withouth a greasy residue
- Lotus extract – to prevent ageing of the tattooed skin by supplying it with antioxidants
- Vitamins C & E – to boost tattoo radiance and enhance skin’s appearance
The lotion keeps the skin moisturized for 24 hours, while providing protection against free radical damage as well as the the damage from exposure to UV rays.
2. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
Another exceptional Ed Hardy product is the Coconut Kisses Golden tanning lotion. Unlike the previous one, this lotion is made to not only enhance natural tanning of the skin, but it also delivers a golden tan thanks to the bronzing agents. The tanning formula of this lotions is amazing; it increases the melanin formation naturally to enhance and accelerate the tanning process, without messing up the tattoo.
Some of the ingredients found in this lotion include;
- Quad tyrosine blend – to increase melanin production and accelerate tanning
- Melactiva – melanin synthesizer for darker, for longer lasting tanning results
- Nouritan – to stimulate tyrosine activity and ensure even and logn lasting tan
- Tattoo/color fade protector – to prolong the radiance and improve appearance of the tattoo
- Coconut oil/milk/butter – to provide intense and deep skin hydration
This Ed Hardy tanning lotion doesn’t just improve dna accelerate tanning without messing up the tattoo; it also ensures the skin is protected thanks to the anti-UV agents found in the lotion. Even during the prolonged sun exposure, the lotion keeps the skin hydrated, protected and prevents sunburn or skin damage.
3. Hempz Dark Tan Mazimizer
Finding the right tattoo tanning lotion for sensitive skin can be pretty hard. But, noti f you know about the exceptional Hempz Store. Their Tan Maximizer tanning lotion for tattoos is also made for for sensitive and allergy prone skin, meaning, it is completely hypoallergenic. Not to mention how lightweight and smooth the lotion is; it will provide natural bronzing effect without being greasy or having issues with skin absorption.
Some of the ingredients found in this lotion are;
- Oatmeal – to naturally soothe and comfort sensitive or easily-irritated skin, especially during sun exposure
- Mango seed butter – to hydrate and smooth sensitive and gentle skin
- 100% natural hemp seed oil – to hydrate, nourish, and enhance sun-kissed tan
We do have to emphasize that this lotion is gluten free, paraben free, THC free, and 100% vegan. It is also suitable for people with certain skin conditions, like psoriasis or eczema.
4. Tanning Paradise Black Coconut Tattoo Tanning Lotion
One of the best tattoo tanning lotions comes from Tanning Paradise. This lotion is designed to give you that tropical, sun kissed tan while protecting your tattoo and preventing fading in case of sun exposure. This is extremely important for tattoo owners, and the makers of the lotion formulation knew that. The lotion will give your skin exceptional tanning results, and your tattoo a special summer radiance that no one can resist.
Some of the ingredients found in this lotion are;
- Coconut milk – to hydrate the skin deeply and intensly
- Coconut butter – to keep the skin smooth and soft, without the greasiness and stickiness
- Coconut oil – to give the tattoo the summer radiance it deserves
- Tan activators – to promote long-lasting melaning production
The lotion doesn’t contain artificial bronzing agents or DHA; it stimulates and accelerates the tanning process by increasing melanin formation using natural melanin stimulators. However, it does contain a tattoo and color fade protector, to prolong the life and radiance of the tattoo while protecting it from fading as well.
5. Devoted Creations Hydrating Tattoo Tanning Butter
Another comprehensive tanning lotion comes from Devoted Creations. This lotion is designed to not only provide exceptional tanning effects, but also to take care of your skin and tattoos, protect and nourish them for hours after application. The lotion formula is suitable for highly sensitive or ageing skin.
The ingredients in this lotion are exceptional and guaranteed to keep your skin and tattoos hydrated and nourished. There is also a tattoo color fade protector to ensure your tattoos stay vibrant and radiant.
Some of the ingredients found in this lotion are;
- Advanced Matrixyl Synthe 6 – to prevent aging and reduce wrinkles
- Shea butter – to hydrate and moisturize the skin, deeply and intensly, and prevent dryness
- Seed oil – to pprovide radiance and natural glow to the skin and tattoos
This lotion is not only created for tanning; the active ingredients nourish and moisturize the skin, which makes the lotions suitable for everyday wear.
Tattoo Tanning Lotions: Everything You Need To Know
What Are Tattoo Tanning Lotions?
Tattoo tanning lotions are hydrating lotions with tanning agents, which promote natural skin tanning by encouraging melanin formation. These lotions are used to ensure the tattooed skin tans the same as the remaining skin, so there are no pigmentation and aesthetic issues.
Are Tanning Lotions The Same as Tattoo Sunscreens?
No, they’re not the same. Sunscreen lotions protect the skin from UV rays (hence the SPF labeling on suncreen bottles), and such protection is necessary to prevent the skin from developing cancer. The tattoos need to be protected by sunscreen as well, to prevent damage and premature fading.
On the other hand, sunscreen application can prevent the skin from tanning, which can create tattoo appearance issues. Tanning lotions can prevent that, by promoting natural skin bronzing without exposing the skin to UV rays.
Also Read: When Can I Put Sunscreen on My Tattoo?
How Can I Know Which Tanning Lotion is The Best?
Here are some guidelines to go by when choosing the best tanning lotion for your tattoos;
- Consider your skin type – make sure to take into consideration your skin type when buying a tattoo tanning lotion. Tattoed skin tends to be a bit more sensitive than non-tattooed skin, so try to go for gentle lotions. Also, if you’re prone to skin allergies, or you have highly sensitive skin, go for hypoallergenic tanning lotions.
- Check the ingredients – when buying a tanning lotions, always check the ingredient list. Avoid heavy, greasy and intensly fragrant lotions. Go for products that are based on organic, vegan, paraben-free ingredients, or lotions based on shea or cocoa butter. Such ingredients won’t harm your skin and tattooed, but keep everything hydrated, nourished and protected.
- Check the lotion brand – there are tons of tattoo tanning lotions on the market, and each brand claims their product is the best. However, the majoirty of the lotions are a scam, made to tan the skin by coloring it. Such products can be dangerous and cause serious skin problems. So, always go for reliable and trustworthy brands. Or, if you’re not sure, simply check publicly available reviews.
Are Tanning Lotions Harmful For The Skin?
Tattoo, or any other kind of tanning lotions are considered safe to use if you go for high-quality products with high-quality ingredients. If you use low-grade products with questionable ingredient, you can expect some skin irritation or rashing. Tanning lotions that color the skin to achieve the tanning effect can cause pigmentation issues and may not look good on you.
Before you go and buy a tattoo tanning lotion, make sure to talk to your dematologist and get preofessional evaluation and recommendation for the best products. This especially applies to people with senstive skin or skin conditions, like psoriasis or ecszema.
Tattoo tanning lotiosn are excellent for those looking to get a summer tan without damaging the tattoo. Our handpicked tanning lotions for this article are currently the best for the summer season of 2022. They have exeptional ingredients and have been tested for skin and tattoo protection as well as tanning efficiency.
Hopefully our list will make it easier for you to choose the best tanning lotion for your ink. But, remember, tanning lotions are not an alternative for sunscreen; you still need to apply a suitable SPF to properly protect the skin and the ink from UV rays.
- Safe, non-toxic plant-based temporary tattoos made with 100% high-definition printing for a realistic look without the pain
- Easy to apply and remove - just stick for 20 seconds then take off
- Set includes 5 sheets with 17 fun, delicate designs like hearts, cats, smiles, suns, moons, and more
- Waterproof and long-lasting - stays on up to 2 weeks of wear
- Fashionable for women, men, girls and boys
- Place on arm, wrist, neck, leg, finger, waist, foot and more
- Great for parties, birthdays, and showing your unique style