Overcoming obstacles and difficulties in life makes people stronger and more resilient. But sometimes, all the fighting and endurance of life’s hurdles can leave us feeling discouraged and weak. Often, when we reach that point, we require a support system, people who love and support us, which in the majority of cases helps tremendously.
But, in other cases, we need to be our own reminder of the things we managed to endure and overcome to be where we are today. One such reminder can also be a tattoo.
A tattoo can serve as a reminder of our inner strength, courage, and bravery. It can even be a source of bravery and strength for the future. Regardless of whether it is a source or a way to channel bravery and inner strength, one surely needs a tattoo design that carries that meaning perfectly.
So, if you’re looking for an inspiration for a tattoo that will channel your inner strength and courage, then you’re at the right place. In the following paragraphs, we’ll talk about unique bravery symbols you can use for your tattoo design. So, let’s get started!
30+ Best Tattoo Designs That Show Courage and Bravery
As the King of the Jungle, a lion is a symbol of courage, leadership, and power. Lions are generally considered to be highly intelligent and fearless animals, and their bravery is endless. These animals are ready to sacrifice their lives just to fight whatever comes their way. Lions also symbolize pride, family, even peace and harmony, depending on the interpretation.
So, if you want a tattoo that will truly translate your own feelings of bravery and courage, as well as the other admirable qualities, you should surely consider getting a lion tattoo. Here are some of our favorite lion tattoo designs you can draw inspiration from for your own lion tattoo;
Koi Fish Tattoo
Koi fish is a traditional Japanese fish, often decorating the outdoor ponds of the royal and the wealthy in Japan and China. However, this fish’s historic impact doesn’t just come from its beautiful appearance; there is also the legend of the Koi fish and the golden dragon. This is where the fish becomes a symbol of perseverance, bravery, and fearlessness.
Originating from China, the legend tells a story about thousands of Koi fish trying to swim up the stream of the Huang Ho River (also known as the Yellow River). And, many fish managed to successfully swim in the opposite direction. But, upon arriving at the great waterfall, almost all the fish gave up. However, one Koi fish was determined to swim up the waterfall and reach the top.
After 100 years of trying, the fish has finally managed to reach the top. The Gods rewarded the fish by transforming it into a golden dragon. And, ever since this legend spread around the people, it made this fish a symbol of determination, bravery, and perseverance.
So, if you want a tattoo that will show your determination and bravery, as well as the ability to reach any goal, then you should get a Koi fish tattoo. Here are some of our top designs you can be inspired by for your new tattoo;
When it comes to wolves, their symbolism varies from one culture to the other. In some parts of the world, wolves are seen are symbols of spirituality, death, and rebirth. In other places and cultures, wolves symbolize bravery, fearlessness, and loyalty. Regardless of the interpretation, we can all agree that wolves are incredibly courageous; surviving in the ruthless wilderness has made these animals beyond brave and strong.
We can also learn from them; wolves teach us perseverance, loyalty, the importance of family, and the importance of never giving up. So, what better symbolism to use for your new tattoo than that of a wolf. Here are some of our favorite wolf designs you can use for inspiration;
Daggers often represent notions like danger, violence, loss, or betrayal. Historically, major events (like murders, for example, originating from the Victorian era), have been done with daggers. A bloody dagger generally symbolizes betrayal and murder. However, daggers also symbolize courage and fearlessness. That is because to use a dagger means one is not afraid of close combat.
For that reason, many people looking to display their own bravery go for dagger tattoos, or even dagger charms and talismans.
Because daggers are short knives, they are often only applied for humans; this also deepens the symbolism of courage needed to win against people who do not wish you well.
Dagger tattoos are known to be done in either a Victorian style or sometimes even the Middle Eastern or African style. Either way, the symbolism is there. Here are some of our top picks for dagger tattoos you can use for inspiration;
Borage Flower Tattoo
Borage is a wonderful flower that is the ultimate symbol of bravery and fearlessness. Its name is believed to stem from the Latin and Arabic word slike Borrego, which means ‘the source fo sweat’. In many cultures around the world, the Borage plant symbolizes one’s wish to be happy and content, but also bravery to go against the odds to reach happiness. It also shows that one can succeed even in the face of adversity.
Overcoming obstacles and showing inner strength and courage has historically been associated with this flower. For example, Roman soldiers would eat Borage leaves before going to war, believing it would give them strength and courage to win against the enemy. The Celts added borage plants to their wine so that it would make them more courageous when they drink it.
So, what better symbol to use for a tattoo than a Borage flower. Here are some of our favorite Borage flower tattoo designs you can be inspired by for your own tattoo;
Historically and culturally, the red color has commonly been associated with courage, honor, loyalty, fearlessness, passion, beauty, and even happiness or weddings. Surely, it is also associated with war, death, and other negative occurrences in life. That is why people generally go for red tattoos when they want to display fearlessness and bravery, or passion and love.
Regardless of the design of the tattoo, if it’s colored red, the meaning instantly shifts, making the design uniquely yours. So, if you don’t like any of the aforementioned designs, you can always get a tattoo you want, and simply color it in red. Here are some of our favorite red tattoo designs you can use for inspiration;
If you want to get a tattoo that symbolizes bravery, you need to remember the following things;
- The tattoo doesn’t have to be big or aggressive per se to depict strength and bravery. Sometimes small, meaningful designs that are unique to your life and experience speak louder.
- The majority of people who want to get a courage-symbolizing tattoo often place it somewhere visible; like the arms, hands, chest, neck, shoulders, and similar locations. Now, this can bear its own advantages and disadvantages. Depending on the design, sometimes having a bold, visible tattoo can create some issues at work, for example. So, bear in mind the placement of the tattoo if it’s on the bolder side; like the dagger tattoo or the aggressive lion/wolf design.
- The aforementioned symbols are not the only ones to symbolize strength and bravery. Anything in your life that has made you stronger and more courageous is good enough to serve as a reminder in the form of a tattoo. So, if you have something else in mind, feel free to make your own, unique design.
- If you don’t like any of the aforementioned design ideas, maybe you should consider small tattoo symbols, like the feather or the infinity symbols to express your bravery and fearlessness. From ancient times, the feather has symbolized courage and individualism, while the infinity symbol stood for endless strength and bravery.
One more thing; regardless of what kind of tattoo you’re after, always make sure to get it done by a professional, experienced tattoo artist. That is the only way your vision and design will come to life. So, be careful who you choose to do your ink.
- Safe, non-toxic plant-based temporary tattoos made with 100% high-definition printing for a realistic look without the pain
- Easy to apply and remove - just stick for 20 seconds then take off
- Set includes 5 sheets with 17 fun, delicate designs like hearts, cats, smiles, suns, moons, and more
- Waterproof and long-lasting - stays on up to 2 weeks of wear
- Fashionable for women, men, girls and boys
- Place on arm, wrist, neck, leg, finger, waist, foot and more
- Great for parties, birthdays, and showing your unique style